DIY Charcoal Acne Face Mask

on
Monday, October 31, 2016
So, the big thing right now is charcoal. Charcoal masks and charcoal face washes have become huge because of the purifying effects charcoal can have on your face and how well it can clean out impurities and shrink your pores. I have tried one charcoal mask by Boscia and LOVE it, it's more of a peel than a mask, but after using it my face feels clean, fresh and luminous.

While on Pinterest a few weeks back, I came across a couple DIY charcoal face masks and have been wanting to give one a try. One of them included Elmer's Glue and Activated Charcoal, but after reading some reviews, I saw that this mask wasn't the best idea and can really be painful and bad for your skin. Then, I found one that included a few simple ingredients and was directed for acne-prone skin, perfect for my skin type! So, I gave it a try and am going to share with you the recipe and the results now!




So here is what you need and how much it costs:

3 pumps of Aloe gel ($2 at Walmart)
1 Capsule Activated Charcoal, open the capsule and use the powder only! ($5 for the whole bottle at Natural Grocers)
2 Drops Melaleuca a.k.a. Tea Tree Oil  ($25 from doTerra or $6 at Target)

These ingredients can cost you as little as $13 and you could get A TON of this DIY mask for that cost. Totally worth it. The Aloe gel feels amazing on your skin, even if used alone. It has healing "powers" and has that soothing, cooling effect. If you've ever used it on a sun burn, you know what I mean. The Activated Charcoal can be taken as a "body detox' and does amazing things for clearing out toxins and impurities in your body. It does the same thing for your skin! It completely detoxes your skin and clears out your pores, and all it takes is one tiny capsule. Melaleuca, also known as Tea Tree Oil, has anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral super powers. This oil can be used for such a wide variety of things, but for your skin, and specifically for acne, it's a miracle.

As you can see, all these ingredients alone can be amazing for your skin. Mix them together and you get a super-refreshing and detoxifying mask for your skin. Before mixing the ingredients together, keep in mind that the Melaleuca has a very strong, minty smell and if you use too much it will make your eyes burn. I actually made that mistake the first time I tried this, I used 3-4 drops and my eyes were watering and my nose was running because the smell was so strong.


Once mixed, the mask will look like this. Completely black with a gel-like consistency. A little goes a long ways so while this doesn't look like enough for your whole face, it is, I promise. I used this spatula style tool (can you tell I don't cook or know anything about kitchen utensils??) to mix it up and to apply the majority of it to my skin.


It can definitely get a little messy, the charcoal is BLACK and turns everything black. So keep a paper towel nearby to help keep things clean. As you can see in the photo above, I left my eye area and lips out since those are sensitive areas. Once you have the mask fully applied, wait for it to dry. It doesn't take long to dry, maybe 5-10 minutes depending on how thick you applied it.


Once the mask is dry, it will look matte on your skin and that's how you'll know it's time to rinse. I used this baby washcloth with warm water to lightly scrub the majority of the mask off my face. Keep in mind, use a washcloth you don't care about because the charcoal definitely stained the one I used. You can even use a paper towel if you'd rather not stain a washcloth. However, I used this washcloth because it's super-soft and gentle on my face. Once I rubbed off most of the mask, I finished with splashing some cool water on my face to rinse off the rest and close up my pores.


While you obviously won't see instant, acne clearing results, your skin will feel amazing and refreshed. After a couple of days, I did notice that a lot of my spots cleared up and stayed that way for about a week! Yes, it could have been a coincidence, but either way, I really loved the results and the way this mask made my skin feel.

If you've never used any of these ingredients on your skin before, I would proceed with caution in case you may have and allergy or reaction to any of them. However, all of these ingredients are natural and I have never had any type of reaction (minus the burning eyes from the scent of Melaleuca) to any of these products. Depending on where you buy them, this mask can cost more or less. The doTerra brand of Melaleuca will obviously be more expensive than if you were to buy Tea Tree oil from Walmart or Target, but you should get the same exact effect not matter where it's purchased from.

Thanks for reading! If you try this mask out, let us know how you liked it on our social media! Follow @kaitandbre on Instagram or find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/kaitandbre

XOXO,
Kait
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment