Organizing Makeup on a Budget

on
Tuesday, October 11, 2016
For those of you that know me, it's almost humorous that I'm writing this post. I am one of the most disorganized people you will ever meet. However, I love the process of organizing wether or not I keep things that way or not. Since we've started this blog, my makeup has gotten completely out of control and unorganized and frankly, a disastrous mess. 

As we were writing down ideas for blog posts, I had the idea of doing an organizing post and better yet, organizing on a budget. Having a baby and a mortgage and a shopping problem, our budget is tight in my household and I know a lot of you are the same way. So, I went out and bought the most inexpensive containers/drawers/trays that I could find and managed to reorganize my makeup for around $30.



Looking at the above photo, it's hard for me to believe that ALL of my makeup is in this tiny enclosed space. Typically, it's scattered all over my table, in different purses, diaper bags, bathroom drawers and in my car. I gathered everything up, cleaned it all and found a place for it. I even have extra room for all my future makeup purchases which are inevitable. 

As you can see, I have the majority of my makeup stored in this plastic drawer set that I got at Target. I bought it for $12.99 and it holds a surprising amount of makeup! You can find it here.


On the top, I have 2 tin buckets holding my brushes and my liners, lip pencils and mascara. Each of these tin containers cost me $1 (each) at target. You can find them here. I also have my foundations stored in a rectangle acrylic tray that I actually got for free from a previous retail job because they were going to be thrown away. But, I found some that are similar from The Container Store and you can find them here


Next, I have all of my lipsticks and glosses stored in a round, plastic basket that actually came as a gift basket with baby shampoo and lotion which I got as gift for my baby shower. I couldn't find anything like it anywhere online (unless you want to buy the gift basket for $10 here) but I found something better from The Container Store which is actually meant for lipstick storage. You can find it here. With the remaining area on the top, I just used for my makeup removing wipes and a few face masks.



In the first drawer, I stored all of my face powders, concealers, blushes, bronzers, highlighters and face primers. I could have easily just tossed them all in there with little to no organization, but for the sake of this post, I gave it a little more effort and used two acrylic trays to separate my powders, concealers, and my blushes and bronzers. These are the makeup categories I own the most of so this drawer is packed full. I could have spread it out a little and put some of them in the middle drawer where I had some extra room as you'll see below, but I wanted to keep everything in their own categories. It makes it easier for me to keep it organized because everything is stored in the order I use it while doing my makeup. If you're on a tighter budget, you could easily do without these two acrylic trays and cut $10 from your total cost.



In the second drawer I have my eyelashes, eyelash glue, tweezers, brow powders, pomades and gels, and all my single eyeshadows. I used to only buy these Bare Minerals eyeshadows and I really love them because they can be used wet or dry. Rose Pearl is on of my all-time favorite, I'm pretty sure it's discontinued but if you can find it somewhere, snatch it up before it's gone because it's the most beautiful dusty rose color. Anyways, I finally discovered palettes and I haven't bought too many single eye shadows since then. But I still have my very favorites that I hold on to. I have more lash glue than I need, but I use both clear and dark. The dark glue is nice if you don't want to use eyeliner because it leaves a darker strip and makes your lash line really stand out. I plan to fill this drawer more as I collect more lashes and eye shadows, so for now I will leave the empty space.


Last but not least, the third drawer is storing almost all of my eyeshadow palettes with the exception of my larger Tarte holiday collection palettes. Out of all of my makeup, I love eyeshadow the most. I wear it every single day and I do something different with it every single day. I have a very wide variety and in the future I may rank all my palettes from favorite to least favorite. My newest one is the Urban Decay Ultimate Basics Palette and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also just recently got the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Quad in Matte Purples and it's so beautiful.

When I went to Target to purchase my drawers and containers, there were so many more expensive items that I would have loved to buy instead. I will list some of the things I found and loved and include the links to them on Target.com. All the photos below I saved directly from the Target website.  

This Nate Berkus Desktop Organizer would be so cute for holding makeup brushes or eyeliners and lip pencils. It was $14.99 so it didn't fit my budget.

This cute cup would have been perfect to hold really anything. Brushes, lip glosses, liners, lip pencils. It is $7.99 at Target and you can find it here.


This Desktop Tray by Nate Berkus would fit perfectly inside on of the drawers to help with some extra organization, but it costs $19.99 so if you're on a budget, this may not work for you. However, it's super cute!


If you have a smaller collection of palettes, these Letter Sorters work perfectly to store them. I have too many, so I would have had to buy 2 or 3 of these which cost $12.99 each, so these didn't fit my budget either.


This is the one item I almost splurged on. I loved it enough. It's a Threshold Glass and Metal Vanity Organizer and it would be great for storing palettes, lipgloss, lipstick, foundation.. pretty much anything and everything. It would have replaced a few of the acrylic containers on the top of my drawers but since I already had some of those items, I didn't need to spend the extra money. It's currently on sale for $14.99.


I hope you enjoyed this post! This blog has inspired me to get organized the last few weeks and I hope this post inspires you to do some "fall cleaning".

XOXO,
Kait





Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment