No-Carve Pumpkins

on
Monday, October 24, 2016
With Halloween being just around the corner, we thought it would be fun to decorate pumpkins! I think that we can all agree that carving pumpkins is messy, time consuming and difficult! So after getting some inspo off of Pinterest, we decided to get creative and paint our pumpkins. We were able to get the pumpkins, paint and supplies for just around $15 each. The paint we chose is by Craft Smart at Michaels, they were around $1 each, and we were impressed by the quality for being so inexpensive. We also bought glitter. The brand was Recollections, it was $6 contained 6 different colors of glitter. We only ended up using two of the glitter options but it was still a good price and we have a ton leftover for future use! 

Kait's Pumpkins








I was hesitant to do the candy skull with my larger pumpkin because I am no artist! I did 2 coats of white paint and waited for it to dry. I then went straight to work, starting with all the parts that required black paint. I then used my colored paints for all the accents and fun designs. Yes, if you are really looking, it's not perfect. But they look so cute on my front porch and I really love the way it turned out!

My glitter pumpkins also required 2-3 coats of paint because the neon colors I bought weren't very opaque. I even added a little bit of white to help. I did the glitter very first, brushing Elmer's Glue on the stem and dumping glitter over top.

Bre's Pumpkins



These are my take on donut pumpkins! Like we mentioned earlier, we found inspiration on Pinterest and when I saw someone else's version of these I fell in LOVE with the idea! They are too cute. And who doesn't like donuts?!

These were super easy to create. I first mixed brown and white paint to make a light cream color, I used that to paint the whole pumpkin and stem. Once that dried, I took a pale pink, blue and brown and painted the top half of each pumpkin to look like frosting. Once that dried, I painted on the sprinkles with a small brush. That's it! So easy and SO cute.

My other pumpkin was this tiny little thing. I loved how small it was and how long the stem was.
I put glue on the stem and then poured the glitter on top. I wiped off any excess glitter on the pumpkin and then went in with black paint. I really like how it turned out!





During The Process



We went into this having NO idea what we were doing. Which is what I love about this project because we ended up with the cutest painted pumpkins and it took little to no experience with painting. We set up some paper to keep my table from paint and glue and went straight to work.


Tip #1: To make the paint dry quicker, use a hair dryer! The heat speeds up the drying time, it sort of "bakes" the paint. 

Tip #2: If you are using glitter, do the glitter portion before you use paint. That way you can be a little messy and it won't get stuck on wet paint in areas that you didn't want glitter.

Tip #3: If you are using a neon color, add a tiny bit of white paint or it's going to show up translucent on another color or on the orange pumpkin.

Tip #4: Make sure you have a wide variety of brushes! We ended up using almost every brush we bought for different details. We also bought the large brushes for painting the entire pumpkin one color and it took far less time than it would have with a smaller brush.



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment